|If you found this page through a web search, we invite you to visit our Main Page to see what Intellogist is all about. This Community Report exists for our users to share information and experiences about patent search resources. Registered users can add, edit, or delete material on this page. The information contained on this page is the result of community collaboration and is not vetted by individual experts or fact-checkers. For in-depth reviews of other patent search resources, please read our Intellogist Reports. For information about editing Community reports, please see our Help pages. If you'd like more information about why Intellogist did not write about this search tool, please see our Criteria for Intellogist Articles.|
ACS Publications is the publication division of the American Chemical Society, and users can search through all journals published by ACS on the ACS Publications website. Publications searchable through the site include:
- More than 40 journals
- Chemical & Engineering News
- ACS Legacy Archives
- ACS Symposium Series
Users may create a free profile to access some search features, such as saved queries and RSS feed, but a user must be a paying ACS member to view the full text of articles.
Users can either browse publications alphabetically by title or search through the ACS Publications Website. Search options are located in a small tabbed form in the upper right corner of the site, and available search forms include:
- Quick search - A keyword search form, which users can limit to Anywhere, Title, Author, or Abstract.
- Citation search - Select a journal or book series and enter a volume and page number.
- DOI search - Enter a DOI number (Digital Object Identifier).
- Subject search - Select a subject section from a collapsible menu of main subject headings and related sections.
- Advanced search - Search in a variety of fields, include limits based on source type and subject type, and include date range limits. Users can choose to enable stemming, and boolean operators (AND/OR/NOT), phrase searching, and wildcards can be included in search queries. Registered users can save their search criteria or create an RSS feed of their search for updates on new results.
Results can be sorted by relevance, date, type, title, or author, and results are organized under three tabs: All, Research, and "News, Features, and Commentary." A panel beside the results lists a number of filtering criteria which the user can apply to the search (Content Type, Section, Publication, Manuscript Type, Author, Date Range). Users can select specific results to view abstracts (or first pages) or to download citations. The results can be viewed as thumbnails or items in a list.
When a user selects the full record for the article, they can view basic bibliographic information and an abstract (or first page, if the abstract isn't available). A full PDF version of the article is available to paying ACS members (or the user can purchase temporary access to the item).
Registered users can utilize a variety of tools associated with the record, including:
- Add to favorites
- Download citation
- Email a link for the record to a colleague
- Copy a permanent link for the record
- Share the record on various social media outlets
The record also includes a "Related Content" section on the full record, where the user can view other ACS content by the same author.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "About Us." ACS Publications website, http://pubs.acs.org/page/about-us.html. Accessed February 6, 2012.
- ↑ "Advanced Search." ACS Publications website, http://pubs.acs.org/search/advanced. Accessed February 6, 2012.