|If you found this page through a web search, we invite you to visit our Main Page to see what Intellogist is all about. This Community Report exists for our users to share information and experiences about patent search resources. Registered users can add, edit, or delete material on this page. The information contained on this page is the result of community collaboration and is not vetted by individual experts or fact-checkers. For in-depth reviews of other patent search resources, please read our Intellogist Reports. For information about editing Community reports, please see our Help pages. If you'd like more information about why Intellogist did not write about this search tool, please see our Criteria for Intellogist Articles.|
Cases Database is a "continuously-updated, freely-accessible database of over 10,000 medical case reports from multiple publishers, including Springer, BMJ and PubMed Central." The Cases Database FAQ section states that "Cases Database is a service provided by BioMed Central." Case reports on Cases Database cover all fields of clinical medicine. Users can register and create an account for BioMed Central and associated sites, including Cases Database. Registered users who log on to Cases Database can:
- Save cases
- Download and export search results to your local computer
- Save searches
- Receive emails when new cases match your saved searches
- Receive email updates
Users have a number of search and browsing options on Cases Database, including:
- General Search - This search form is located in the upper right corner of the home page and allows the user to search by keyword or phrase. This search form includes an autocomplete function.
- Advanced Search - Select the Advanced Search link below the general search form to open this fielded menu, where users can enter search criteria based on various fields under the categories of Patient Information, Publication, and Clinical Characteristics. Select the "Edit query as text" option to open a command line interface where the user can view and edit the query directly in the system syntax.
- Cases - Select this tab to browse cases by demographics (sex/age/ethnicity), clinical characteristics (subject area/condition/symptom/medication/intervention/pathogen), or publication (journal/publication year/author country).
After conducting a search, users can save the search (optionally as an email alert) and view download options (save to "My saved cases" or download to CSV file) for all case results on the page or selected cases. A filtering sidebar allows users to further limit search results by demographics, clinical characteristics, or publication criteria. Between 10 and 100 cases can be displayed per page. Each result in the hit list includes the case title (with a brief excerpt), age, sex, and year, and users can filter the results list by any of these fields. Select the record title to view the full record view, which includes title, gender, age, condition, medication, summary, bibliographic source data (and links), and options to read the full text or add to saved cases.
- ↑ "About Cases Database." Cases Database website, http://www.casesdatabase.com/about. Accessed January 2, 2013.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 "Frequently Asked Questions." Cases Database website, http://www.casesdatabase.com/about/faq. Accessed January 2, 2013.
- ↑ "Log on/Register." Cases Database website, http://www.casesdatabase.com/login. Accessed January 2, 2013.