|If you found this page through a web search, we invite you to visit our Main Page to see what Intellogist is all about. This Community Report exists for our users to share information and experiences about patent search resources. Registered users can add, edit, or delete material on this page. The information contained on this page is the result of community collaboration and is not vetted by individual experts or fact-checkers. For in-depth reviews of other patent search resources, please read our Intellogist Reports. For information about editing Community reports, please see our Help pages. If you'd like more information about why Intellogist did not write about this search tool, please see our Criteria for Intellogist Articles.|
Chemistry Central is an open access chemistry publisher which is operated by BioMed Central and owned by major scientific publisher Springer Science+Business Media. The Chemistry Central website states that "all original research articles published by, or in co-operation with, Chemistry Central are made freely and permanently accessible online immediately upon publication." Users can register to create an account to log on to BioMed Central and associated sites, including Chemistry Central. Registered users are able to:
- submit manuscripts.
- receive email updates.
- post comments on articles.
- access the advanced search form.
Users have a number of search and browsing options on Chemistry Central, including:
- Quick Search - Use this basic search form in the upper right corner of the page to search for keywords or phrases.
- Advanced Search - Select the "Advanced Search" link beside the quick search form to access this menu. Use a fielded search form to search within bibliographic data and text fields, limit by date, and filter by journal.
- Boolean Search - This tab under the advanced search menu provides access to a command line interface that accepts field operators, parentheses, quotations, truncation operators, and Boolean operators. Also filter by date and journal.
- Saved Searches - Run, refine, or delete saved searches, including searches saved as email alerts.
- Search History - The search history is displayed under the advanced and Boolean search menus and "shows all the searches you have been running in the current session. It is emptied when you close your browser."
- Journals - Select this tab to browse through a list of Chemistry Central journals or other journals.
- Articles - Select this tab to browse through lists of all articles, most viewed articles, or article collections.
After conducting a search, the following options are displayed above the hit list:
- Refine the search.
- Save the search (can be saved as a recurring email alert).
- Display the result list with editor summaries or citations.
- Send a page of results or selected results to citation manager software.
Each result includes basic bibliographic data (and citations or editor summaries, if selected). Icons beside the results indicate whether the record is open access, highly accessed, etc. The results also link directly to abstracts, full text, PDF downloads, the record on PubMed, editor summaries, the record cited on BioMed Central, graphical abstracts, etc.
Select a result title to view the full record, which includes bibliographic data, abstract, author emails (for registered users), and full text (including a table of contents linking to different sections of the full text). A side menu provides access to:
- Viewing options (abstract, full text, PDF, etc.).
- Associated material (PubMed record, about the article, reader's comments, etc.).
- Related literature.
- Tools (download references, download XML, email to friend, order reprints, or post a comment).
- Share the record via various social media sites.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "About Us." Chemistry Central website, http://www.chemistrycentral.com/about. Accessed January 2, 2013.
- ↑ "Log on / register." Chemistry Central website, http://www.chemistrycentral.com/logon. Accessed January 2, 2013.
- ↑ "Search history." Chemistry Central website, http://www.chemistrycentral.com/search. Accessed January 2, 2013.