|If you found this page through a web search, we invite you to visit our Main Page to see what Intellogist is all about. This Community Report exists for our users to share information and experiences about patent search resources. Registered users can add, edit, or delete material on this page. The information contained on this page is the result of community collaboration and is not vetted by individual experts or fact-checkers. For in-depth reviews of other patent search resources, please read our Intellogist Reports. For information about editing Community reports, please see our Help pages. If you'd like more information about why Intellogist did not write about this search tool, please see our Criteria for Intellogist Articles.|
DataStar was an online search service offered in Europe by Dialog, the maker of products such as DialogClassic and Dialog Classic Web, but access to DataStar ended after September 30, 2011. DataStar was replaced by ProQuest Dialog.
Access and Features
DataStar was accessible through a variety of interfaces, including:
- DataStarWeb (web-based interface)
- DataStarClassic on the Web (web-based interface with command line interface)
- DataStar as a desktop application (Windows interface)
- DataStar via Telnet
Features of DataStar included:
- AlertsManager - An information-sharing tool where the user can organize Alerts by topic, create an audience list and invite contacts to subscribe to the Alerts you specify.
- ReportAid - A post-processing tool for DataStarWeb that allows the user to select the data fields they want to include and organize them in any order. Reports can be generated in one of three file formats (PDF, RTF and XML).
- Easy and advanced search options (and command-line interface in DataStarClassic on the Web).
- eLinks - Link through to specific electronic journals direct from the key bibliographic databases on DataStarWeb.
- WebCharts - Users can tabulate, format, print and export data retrieved from DataStarWeb.
- Delivery options for search and Alerts by e-mail or mail.
- Intranet Accessible - DataStarWeb can be customized with an organization's logo and databases of choice. Logon with a single corporate password.
- Search results in RTF, HTML, or ASCII formats.
DataStar provided access to over 350 databases, including coverage of the following topics:
- Chemicals & Energy
- Food & Drink
- Business Consultancy
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "September 2011 Dialog Chronolog." Dialog website, http://support.dialog.com/enewsletters/chronolog/201109/. Accessed September 19, 2011.
- ↑ "DataStar." Dialog website, http://www.dialog.com/products/productline/datastar.shtml. Accessed September 19, 2011.
- ↑ "DataStar Features & Benefits." Dialog website, http://www.dialog.com/products/datastar/features.shtml. Accessed September 19, 2011.
- ↑ "DataStar." Dialog website, http://www.dialog.com/products/datastar/. Accessed September 19, 2011.