Indian Patent Office Search
|If you found this page through a web search, we invite you to visit our Main Page to see what Intellogist is all about. This Community Report exists for our users to share information and experiences about patent search resources. Registered users can add, edit, or delete material on this page. The information contained on this page is the result of community collaboration and is not vetted by individual experts or fact-checkers. For in-depth reviews of other patent search resources, please read our Intellogist Reports. For information about editing Community reports, please see our Help pages. If you'd like more information about why Intellogist did not write about this search tool, please see our Criteria for Intellogist Articles.|
The Indian Patent Office website provides access to public search systems for Indian patents, trademarks, and designs, and it also allows users to check the status of patents, trademarks, and geographical indications (GI). It should be noted the the Indian Patent Office is referred to on the site as the Government of India Controller General of Patents, Designs & Trade Marks. Readers should refer to the IPairs community report about the Indian Patent Information Retrieval System for more detailed information on the main search portal for the Indian Patent Office.
Through the website, users can search for the following documents:
- Patents: The IPairs system allows users to search for granted Indian patents, published Indian patent applications, and application status. Both the granted patents and published applications databases allow users to use Quick Search, which searches for keywords within a single chosen field, or Advanced Search, which searches in one or two chosen fields and allows combination of the fields by a Boolean operator. Users can view the original document of the granted patent in PDF format, and they can view the bibliographic information and abstract of the published patent applications.
- Trademarks: Users can search on the "Public Search for Trade Marks" for wordmarks (search by wordmark keyword and Class), device marks (search by Vienna Code and Class), or phonetic wordmarks (search by phonetic wordmark keyword and Class). The results include the status and image of the marks.
- Designs: Users can search the "India Design Application Information Retrieval System" for the bibliographic details and status of a design applications. The application status is only available "for the application filed on or after 1st April 2009." Users are only able to search by the six digit application number.
Through the website, users can search for the status of the following documents:
- Patents: Users can search for the status of patent applications within IPairs by searching for a specific application number. The correct format for query input is demonstrated below the search form.
- Trademarks: Users can search the "Trade Marks Registry" for "registered Trade Marks and Application Status Information." Users can search "registered trade mark/ application details" by "Trade Mark/Application Number." Users can also search for trademark/application details by wordmark keyword or "Goods and Services," "Proprietor Name," and class. Finally, users can search for "receipt/acknowledgement of postal applications" by check number, check date, and bank name.
- Geographical Indications (GI): Users can use the "GI Application Status Search" to search by application number for the status of GI applications.
- ↑ "Indian Design Application Information Retrieval System." IP India website, http://ipindiaonline.gov.in/designapplicationstatus/designstatus.aspx (link no longer available). Accessed May 5, 2011.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "Trade Marks Registry." IP India website, https://ipindiaonline.gov.in/eregister/eregister.aspx. Accessed May 5, 2011.