Virtual Library 2.0
|If you found this page through a web search, we invite you to visit our Main Page to see what Intellogist is all about. This Community Report exists for our users to share information and experiences about patent search resources. Registered users can add, edit, or delete material on this page. The information contained on this page is the result of community collaboration and is not vetted by individual experts or fact-checkers. For in-depth reviews of other patent search resources, please read our Intellogist Reports. For information about editing Community reports, please see our Help pages. If you'd like more information about why Intellogist did not write about this search tool, please see our Criteria for Intellogist Articles.|
Infotrieve Online, later known as Virtual Library™ 2.0, was a search platform for non-patent literature where users could search for and order documents. Users could create an account and search the platform for free, but users had to purchase the documents in order to view full text. The documents were delivered via email in PDF format. As of November 2012, this tool no longer appears to be available.
After users register and sign on to the Virtual Library 2.0, they can view the main screen and a left side window that contains all navigation options. A small tool icon at the top of the left window opens a drop-down menu of options, including:
- Search - A separate pop-up window with a basic keyword search form (filter by document type via drop-down menu), advanced search (option to search by a variety of fields, like keyword, author, title, industry identifier, Infotrieve ID, etc), ability to save searches, and option to copy results to clipboard. Results appear below the search form and only display basic bibliographic data.
- Convert Currency - Basic currency converting calculator.
- Help - A detailed help guide, including screenshots, in a separate pop-up window.
- Change the language of the interface to English, French, or Portuguese.
Under the tool drop-down menu is a list of navigation options. Users can select "My Folder" to view:
- My Orders (pending orders, order history, option to export order, custom order views)
- My Delivery Profile - Personal delivery information.
- My Messages
- My Profile - Personal information.
The "Ordering" section allows users to:
- Order by Form - Fill in citation information to locate a document to order.
- Order by Search - Search for documents to order (with same basic or advanced search forms described above). Search results appear in the main window below the search form, and users can view basic bibliographic information, abstract, and table of contents for each result in the hit list. Users can also choose to order each result.
- Order by Citation - Users can insert multiple citations into a search form (limit of 50 citations) to locate and order multiple documents at once.
From the "Cool Tools" section, users can choose add an Infotrieve bookmark to their browser toolbar.
- ↑ "Virtual Library™ 2.0 Upgrade." Infotrieve website, http://www4.infotrieve.com/default.asp (link no longer available). Accessed September 28, 2011.