Italian Patent and Trademark Office National Data Search
|If you found this page through a web search, we invite you to visit our Main Page to see what Intellogist is all about. This Community Report exists for our users to share information and experiences about patent search resources. Registered users can add, edit, or delete material on this page. The information contained on this page is the result of community collaboration and is not vetted by individual experts or fact-checkers. For in-depth reviews of other patent search resources, please read our Intellogist Reports. For information about editing Community reports, please see our Help pages. If you'd like more information about why Intellogist did not write about this search tool, please see our Criteria for Intellogist Articles.|
The Italian Patent and Trademark Office website is only available in Italian, so users should utilize a machine translation tool like Google Translate to translate the website into their language of choice. Users can then scroll down towards the bottom of the page to select the "National Data - Research on database" link (located below the magnifying glass icon), which will access a page with a brief description and link to the national database of the Italian Patent and Trademark Office. According to the description, the database is updated periodically and contains the following coverage:
- Patents for inventions, utility models, design, trademarks and registered translations from January 1, 1980.
- New plant varieties, supplementary protection certificates for medicinal and plant protection, and new semiconductor topographies from October 1, 1989.
- Transcripts and notes are available from January 1, 1996.
Within the database, users can search by:
- Code - Search by application/registration/publication number. A wizard input option helps users format the number correctly.
- Date - Search by application date or registration/grant date. Users can enter a date range.
- Province - Search within the national territory, military and postal deposits, or within a specific chamber of commerce in which the application was filed (region and province). Users can also enable a search for the residence of the applicant/owner and a search on a specific date or date range.
- Text - Search the text of records using Boolean operators between terms and truncation operators.
- Holder - Search by owner name.
- Class - Search by classification code for inventions (IPC), brands (Nice), designs (Locarno), and utility models (IPC). Users can limit the classification search by date and keywords in the title and description (for trademarks only).
- Advanced - Choose the record type (invention, brand, design, or utility model) and combine search of date, text, owner, inventor, classification, and priorities fields.
The hit list includes basic bibliographic data (like application/publication number, application/publication date, and title), and users can select the link within the document number to view the full record (which includes more detailed bibliographic data).
- ↑ "National Data." Italian Patent and Trademark Office website, http://www.uibm.gov.it/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2004097&idarea1=0&tipoVisualizzazione=S&mostracorrelati=&partebassaType=0&showCat=0&idmenu=11688&ordinamento=&idarticolo=2004097&menuMainType=menuServizi (translated to English using Google Translate). Accessed January 3, 2013.