Korea Patent Abstracts
|If you found this page through a web search, we invite you to visit our Main Page to see what Intellogist is all about. This report exists for our users to share information and experiences about patent search resources. Registered users can add, edit, or delete material on this page. The information contained on this page is the result of community collaboration and is not vetted by individual experts or fact-checkers. For in-depth reviews of other patent search resources, please read our Intellogist Reports. For information about editing Community reports, please see our Help pages. For information about why Intellogist did not write about this search tool, please see our Criteria for Intellogist Articles.|
Korea Patent Abstracts is a data product produced by KIPRIS, the Korea Intellectual Property Rights Information Service. This page contains current coverage information for the file itself.
According to KIPRIS, the records contain "an English abstract, summarized by experts in their respective technological fields, containing the essential points of the invention described in Korean patent documents."
The KPA database includes:
- Examined Korean patents from 1979, English abstracts
- Unexamined Korean patent applications from February 1999, English abstracts
- Unexamined foreign PCT applications from October 2000
It also includes:
- Representative drawings
- Basic legal status information (discussed further in the next section)
- Direct links to the full text of the documents (available from April 2004)
- Link to K2E-PAT machine translation service (fee-based)
The time lag of the English abstracts in the database is usually 3 months from publication, and the database is updated daily. 
Legal Status Information
The KPA file contains some truncated legal status information for the records in the file, and no information on the payments of renewal fees is included. Much more detailed information can be obtained from the "Patent Search" database on KIPRIS.
An English-language search manual for the KPA file produced by the Korea Institute for Patent Information (KIPI) is available on the EPO website here.
- ↑ KIPRIS KPA information page. KIPRIS website, http://eng.kipris.or.kr/eng/other_service/kpa_publication.jsp. Accessed June 01, 2010.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 "Input of numbers in the KIPRIS database." Tutorial document available from the epo.org website http://documents.epo.org/projects/babylon/eponet.nsf/0/919552B4C2212540C12575F4004CD0F5/$File/input_of_numbers_in_kipris_en.pdf. Accessed on January 25, 2010.
- ↑ "Korean Patent Information: Part 2: Retrieving Korean Legal Status." December 2009. Patent Information News 04/2009, http://documents.epo.org/projects/babylon/eponet.nsf/0/D9F10E8571A5217AC125768E0058E620/$File/Patentinfo_News_0904_en.pdf. Accessed on January 25, 2010.