|If you found this page through a web search, we invite you to visit our Main Page to see what Intellogist is all about. This Community Report exists for our users to share information and experiences about patent search resources. Registered users can add, edit, or delete material on this page. The information contained on this page is the result of community collaboration and is not vetted by individual experts or fact-checkers. For in-depth reviews of other patent search resources, please read our Intellogist Reports. For information about editing Community reports, please see our Help pages. If you'd like more information about why Intellogist did not write about this search tool, please see our Criteria for Intellogist Articles.|
The Merck Index, currently in its 14th Edition, is an "encyclopedia of chemicals, drugs, and biologicals that contains more than 10,000 monographs" and is produced by Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., a subsidiary of Merck & Co., Inc. The Merck Index can be accessed through a variety of subscription-based platforms, including:
- A hard-copy book (14th Edition) and companion CD by CambridgeSoft.
- Merck Index Internet Edition (Personal or Enterprise), an online search platform through CambridgeSoft. Records are structure and sub-structure searchable.
- Other search platforms by CambridgeSoft (CambridgeSoft E-Notebook, ChemBioDraw and ChemBioFinder.com).
- The Merck Index Online (File 304) on Dialog.
- The Merck Index Online (MRCK) on STN. CAS Registry Numbers are applied to records in this database.
According to the STN datasheet on the Merck Index, the file includes 10,500 records dating from the late 19th century to present, and content of the records includes:
- Substance information such as systematic chemical names, trivial and generic names, trade names and their associated companies, molecular formulas and weights.
- Therapeutic and commercial uses.
- Structure diagrams.
- Bibliographic citations to the scientific and patent literature, as well as the referenced patent and other source information.
- May also contain numeric data for physical and toxicity properties.
- ↑ "About the Merck Index." CambridgeSoft website, https://themerckindex.cambridgesoft.com/themerckindex/Forms/Home/ContentArea/Home.aspx. Accessed September 7, 2011.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 "Scientific Databases - The Merck Index." CambridgeSoft website, http://www.cambridgesoft.com/databases/themerckindex/default.aspx. Accessed September 7, 2011.
- ↑ "The Merck Index Online, 304." Dialog website, http://library.dialog.com/bluesheets/html/bl0304.html. Accessed September 7, 2011.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 "MRCK (Merck Index Online)." STN International website, http://www.stn-international.de/uploads/tx_ptgsarelatedfiles/MRCK_02.pdf. Accessed September 7, 2011.