National Library of Medicine Catalog
|If you found this page through a web search, we invite you to visit our Main Page to see what Intellogist is all about. This Community Report exists for our users to share information and experiences about patent search resources. Registered users can add, edit, or delete material on this page. The information contained on this page is the result of community collaboration and is not vetted by individual experts or fact-checkers. For in-depth reviews of other patent search resources, please read our Intellogist Reports. For information about editing Community reports, please see our Help pages. If you'd like more information about why Intellogist did not write about this search tool, please see our Criteria for Intellogist Articles.|
The National Library of Medicine (NLM) Catalog, available through the National Institute of Health's NCBI Network, can be used to search NLM bibliographic data for journals, books, audiovisuals, computer software, electronic resources, and other materials. Tools provided on the NLM Catalog homepage to aid searchers in locating journals and author names include:
- Journals in NCBI Databases - A search form for locating any journals referenced in NCBI databases, which can be set as limiters for subsequent searches in the NLM Catalog.
- Broad Subject Terms for Indexed Journals - A list of broad subject terms, which can be selected to view journals affiliated with the term.
- Authority Index - Search for the proper format for author names.
- Journal Lists by FTP - Users can download full lists of PubMed Journals, NCBI Molecular Biology Database Journals, or PubMed and NCBI Molecular Biology Database Journals.
From the homepage, users can find help material under the "Using NLM Catalog" section. Help resources include:
- A guide to searching the NLM Catalog through NCBI Bookshelf.
- Visual tutorials on various search techniques.
- A list of FAQs about the NLM Catalog.
- RSS feeds with the latest news on the NLM Catalog.
A link to LocatorPlus on the NLM Catalog can help users locate physical copies of materials indexed in the catalog.
Users can search the NLM Catalog through the basic search form on the homepage or the advanced search form, which resembled a command line interface. The advanced search form allows users to build search queries using field codes, parantheses, and Boolean operators. Users can add various limits to their search by selecting the "Limits" option and choosing limiters via drop-down menus and checkboxes. Under the advanced search form, the users can view their Search History and add their previous searches into the current query. Each search query is numbered in the search history list, and users can simply add the search number to the current query, combined with additional search terms and Boolean operators. If the user wants to view how the full query is translated into the search engine syntax, they can select the "Details" option.
Users can further filter results from the hit list (or create custom filters through their My NCBI account). From the results page, users can also search PubMed, view and alter search details, and view recent activity on the NCBI platform. Users can add selected search results to a file, collection, clipboard, or send the citations via email. The full record view of a search result includes an NLM ID, which links to the document record on LocatorPlus.
- ↑ "NLM Catalog." NLM Catalog NCBI website, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/nlmcatalog. Accessed September 7, 2011.