Open Patent Services
|If you found this page through a web search, we invite you to visit our Main Page to see what Intellogist is all about. This Community Report exists for our users to share information and experiences about patent search resources. Registered users can add, edit, or delete material on this page. The information contained on this page is the result of community collaboration and is not vetted by individual experts or fact-checkers. For in-depth reviews of other patent search resources, please read our Intellogist Reports. For information about editing Community reports, please see our Help pages. If you'd like more information about why Intellogist did not write about this search tool, please see our Criteria for Intellogist Articles.|
Major Recent Updates
Following an announcement made in December, the EPO is preparing to end support for the legacy 2.6.2 OPS service.
We strongly recommend that you switch to this new version as soon as you can due to the time schedule for the OPS REST and SOAP 2012/2013 transition:
- 4 February 2013: ops.epo.org/2.6.2 will be replaced with ops.epo.org/end-of-life until 1 March 2013 when 2.6.2 version will be switched off.
- 4 February 2013: ops.epo.org/ will be the (3.0) default environment.
December 2012 - According to the EPO website:
The EPO has just released OPS version 3.0. With today's release of ops.epo.org/3.0 you can access a new version of OPS providing Cooperative Patent Classification (CPC) symbols and the new CPC classification search service. Please note that CPC classification service is only available in OPS REST.
June 2012 - According to the EPO website:
Following announcements made in January, the EPO is preparing to end support for the legacy 2.6.1 OPS service.
The date of transition (previously announced for the 4th of June) will be postponed for a few weeks. We will announce the exact date at a later stage but please be aware that the change is imminent and urgent action is required by you now.
If you are using 2.6.1, then your access to the service using http://ops.epo.org/2.6.1/... will stop working and will only be supported at http://ops.epo.org/end-of-life/... for a few more weeks. This process enables you to control the transition of your software to the latest OPS in as smooth a way possible. If you do not take action soon, your access to a working OPS will be interrupted.
Many of the features your software uses in 2.6.1 are still available, unchanged in 2.6.2. You will find some 2.6.2 SOAP XML responses have changed in minor ways. Although we do not intend to actively enhance the SOAP based services, the protocol will continue to be supported and the responses will remain consistent with the REST based responses which will be enhanced periodically. If in doubt please test your SOAP based software against 2.6.2 and analyse the responses closely; these will probably be valid and are fully documented in the OPS version 2.6.2 documentation for REST based services (PDF).
February 2012 - According to the EPO website:
On 29 February 2012 OPS version 2.6.2 will become the official production environment for OPS. This will originate the following URL changes:
If you are already using this URL, no further action is required because this address will continue to be supported.
- SOAP based OPS: users of this URL (broken link), currently providing access to version 2.6.1, will be automatically migrated to the new version 2.6.2
- REST based OPS: the REST based services will be available here
Important notices for users of the SOAP based services:
- if your software is not ready to work with version 2.6.2 yet, you can start using this URL (broken link) already before the 29 of February 2012 to avoid disruption.
- Please be aware that this URL (broken link) will be available only until 4 June 2012; however after this date this environment will still be served under here (broken link) until 2 July 2012, after which date the 2.6.1 instance will be withdrawn from service
December 2011 - According to the Patent Information News:
Please send all your questions about raw data products and OPS to firstname.lastname@example.org. The email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com addresses are no longer in use.
December 2011 - According to the EPO website:
A final release of Open Patent Services will take place on Wednesday, 14 December 2011, at 17.00 hrs CET. This release will affect the OPS version 2.6.2 for services based on both the SOAP and RESTful architectures. The present release introduces significant changes in the XML response of the family related services: please refer to the change log (page 3 of the REST documentation) for an overview of these changes. As of end of February 2012 (exact date will be announced) users of http://ops.epo.org/soap-services (broken link) or http://ops.epo.org/rest-services will be automatically migrated to the new version of OPS. If you are using these addresses and if your software is not ready to work with the REST or SOAP version of OPS version 2.6.2, you should start using http://ops.epo.org/2.6.1/soap-services/ (broken link) or http://ops.epo.org/2.6.1/rest-services/ (broken link) before the end of February 2012. Please be aware that http://ops.epo.org/2.6.1 will be available only for a short period of time after February 2012. If you are already using http://ops.epo.org/2.6.2 then no further action is required because this address will continue to be supported.
October 2011 - According to the EPO website:
A maintenance release of Open Patent Services will take place on Monday, 10 October 2011, at 17.00 hrs CET. This release will affect the OPS version 2.6.2 for services based on both the SOAP and RESTful architectures. The present release introduces significant changes in the XML response of several services: please refer to the change log (page 3 of the REST documentation) for an overview of these changes. Although the RESTful service is still a BETA environment, users should expect a final release within the next month: this release will trigger a set of changes in the URI affecting both versions 2.6.1 and 2.6.2 currently in use. Please refer to page 39 of the REST documentation for further details.
May 12, 2010 - It was reported that Open Patent Services was experiencing slowness and frequent outages due to technical difficulties caused by a migration to "version 2" of the system.
The Open Patent Services (OPS) is an API of the European Patent Office. OPS supports SOAP, and XML and is an example of a patent search API. Get more information on the API at the OPS homepage.
Another example of an open patent search API is provided by Google at Google.
- ↑ "End support for the legacy 2.6.2 OPS services." EPO website, http://www.epo.org/service-support/updates/2013/20130121.html. Accessed January 30, 2013.
- ↑ "OPS webservice now includes CPC classification symbols." EPO website, http://www.epo.org/service-support/updates/2012/20121219.html. Accessed January 10, 2013.
- ↑ "End support for the legacy 2.6.1 OPS services." EPO website, http://www.epo.org/service-support/updates/2012/20120531.html. Accessed June 4, 2012.
- ↑ "Changes of URL for OPS versions 2.6.1 and 2.6.2 as of 29 February 2012." EPO website, http://www.epo.org/service-support/updates/2012/20120130.html. Accessed February 13, 2012.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 European Patent Office. "Patent Information News Issue 4." December 2011. EPO webiste, http://documents.epo.org/projects/babylon/eponet.nsf/0/219EBCDC9EF372D8C1257968004BBCCC/$File/PatentInfo_News_1104_en.pdf. Accessed December 17, 2011.
- ↑ "Maintenance release of Open Patent Services (OPS)." EPO website, http://www.epo.org/service-support/updates/2011/20111010.html. Accessed October 11, 2011.
- ↑ "EPO Confirms that Open Patent Services is Experiencing Problems." Posted May 12, 2010 on the Blazing Dawn Software Blog. http://blazingdawnblog.blogspot.com/2010/05/epo-confirms-that-open-patent-services.html. Accessed on May 12, 2010.