Report:Orbit.com/Viewing Results/Saving Results
|Report||Patent Coverage Map||Ratings||Comments|
|This search system report was created by the Intellogist Team and is available for viewing only. If you'd like to share your knowledge on Intellogist, please visit the Best Practices, Glossary, or Community Reports pages. Registered users may be notified of any substantial changes to this report by placing a "watch" on the Revisions page, which is the last page listed in the table of contents. To learn more about using the Intellogist "watchlist," see the Watchlist Help page.|| |
Ways to Save Records on Orbit.com
There are three main options for saving records or patent documents on Orbit.com:
- PDF Copies Portfolio - Save the PDF copies for selected family members (or all family members) related to a record in FamPat, PlusPat, or Full Text result sets. PDF copies are only saved in this portfolio for 30 days. See the Viewing Patent Drawings section of this report for more information on this feature.
- Lists - The List feature can be used to permanently save up to 5,000 FamPat records at a time to a list, accessible from the left side menu beside the hitlist (under the "My Lists" tab). Up to 100 lists can be created at a time (including the default Quicklist). The List tool is only available for FamPat records. See the Flagging Results section of this report for more information on this tool.
- Workfiles - Users can add FamPat and Full Text records to workfiles, which are accessible under the separate Workfiles module. Records can be added to a workfile from the hitlist, full record view, or a saved list, and a maximum of 5,000 documents can be added to workfiles at one time. The following section briefly discusses how to create a workfile and some of the functions available under the Workfiles module. For a full description of all features available through the workfile module on the Orbit.com platform, see the latest Workfile module user guides (Expert Version or Reader Version) available on the Questel website. As of October 2012, the most recent user guides for the workfile module include the Expert Version user guide (PDF, November 2010) and the Reader Version user guide (PDF, March 2012).
From the Xpert module of the Orbit.com platform, user can add records to a workfile in two ways:
- Adding documents from result lists to workfiles after a search.
- Automatic addition of documents in alert results to workfiles.
Under the hitlist view, users can select the chosen records from the result set via check box, and then choose the "Archive" option in the main horizontal menu. Under the Archive menu, the user must select the "Add to a workfile" option to open the Portfolio Wizard in a new window.
The Portfolio Wizard includes a drop-down menu to create new directory folders/workfiles, or the user can browse through the current hierarchy and select a workfile to which the selected records will be added. Mouse over a workfile in the hierarchy to view additional data in a pop-up window, includiing the title, number of documents, number of unread documents, number of non-classified documents, description, and sort key (which can be later used for sorting documents alphabetically).
The Portfolio Wizard menu is identical to the My List Assistants menu in regards to interface options. The options for saving records on the Orbit.com platform are very consistent and easy to utilize, regardless of whether the user chooses the List or Workfile features for saving records.
If the user wants to create a new directory folder or a workfile, they can select the small drop-down menu in the upper left corner of the Portfolio Wizard.
If the user chooses the New Directory option, they must first choose a target directory folder before creating a new directory folder. The user is then prompted to choose the parent directory (the target directory folder or the full portfolio), a name for the workfile, an optional descrption for the workfile, and an optional sort key.
If the user selects to create a new workfile from the Portfolio Wizard (after first selecting a target directory), then they are prompted to choose a name, description (optional), and sort key (optional) for the new file.
After either choosing an existing workfile from the hierarchy or creating a new workfile, the records will automatically save to the Workfiles module. The Workfiles module is not accessible directly from the hit list, so the user must navigate to the Workfiles module before viewing and analyzing results in the workfile.
The fact that the Lists tool and directory is accessible directtly from the hit list view (in the side menu) makes the Lists feature an excellent intermediate tool for flagging possibly relevant results in a hitlist before adding the best of those results to a workfile for further analysis.
The Workfiles Module
After saving selected records from the hitlist to a workfile, users should access the Workfiles module to organize and analyze the files. The Workfiles module is accessible through the Orbit.com platform by selecting the "Workfiles" option in the main drop-down menu for the portal.
The Workfiles module is layed out in the same interface format as the hitlist, with:
- A tabbed left side menu.
- A main central list of records within the currently selected workfile (with a display that can be customized).
- Additional tabs in the central pane that can display designs and attatchments saved to the workfile (attatchments tab illustrated in screenshot below).
- The option to filter current workfile records.
- An optional preview pane, where the user can view a variety of tabs displaying information about a selected record in the workfile (collapsed in the screenshot below).
- A main menu bar above the side menu and two panes, which contains a variety of options that will be discussed in more detail later in this section.
The side menu for the Workfiles module contains two tabs: a "Workfiles" tab and a "Search" tab. The Workfiles tab displays the hierarchary of the main directory folders, subfolders, and individual workfiles. This menu provides a variety of options (similar to the options available under the "My Lists" tab for the Lists feature):
- Select to create a new workfile or directory folder (using the same type of drop-down menu as in the Portfolio Wizard).
- Expand or collapse the entire hierarchy.
- Share a directory folder with one or more additional users.
- Refresh the display of the portfolio.
- Sort the folders/workfiles by name, number of unread documents, number of non-classified documents, total number of documents, or sort key (user-defined) in ascending or descending order.
- Define the numbers displayed in the tree counter (discussed in more detail later in this section).
Users can use the small double-arrow icon in the upper right corner of the side menu to collapse or expand the menu.
The list of side menu options is nearly identical to the options under the "My Lists" tab, although the Workfiles tab does include more sort features (such as sort by number of unread documents and unclassified documents) and the option to define the numbers within the tree counter.
The "Tree counter" option in the drop-down menu under the Workfiles tab allows the user to define which numbers appear in the set of parenthese beside each workfile in the hierarchy. Users can choose to display (or hide) the number of unread documents, number of non-classified documents, and total number of documents.
The Workfile List
Icons beside the record names in the list view of the workfile indicate additional information about each record, such as when the record was added ("new" icon indicates recently-added records) and whether the record has been previously viewed in the workfile (check mark indicates a viewed record).
The filter option (in the upper right corner of the central pane for the Workfiles module) allows users to filter the records in the workfile by:
- Publication country
- Assignee or owner name
- Inventor or creator
- Ranking (starred ranking that can be added to records in the Workfiles module)
- Granted (yes/no)
- Records retrieved since a particular FamPat week
- New documents (yes/no)
- Updated documents (yes/no)
- Read documents (yes/no)
Full Record View in the Workfiles Module
The full record view in the Workfile module looks almost identical to the regular record view in the Xpert module, with the display of the patent family members for FamPat records in the left side menu, a central pane with a number of tabs that can be displayed, and a second pane that includes some additional tab options on the far right of the page. Both the left side menu and the right pane can be collapsed. Some tab options for both the left and right panes are unique to the Workfiles module, such as:
- Attatchments (central pane and right pane) - view a list of attatchments to the document record. It is possible to insert an attachment into a workfile or a document, but this function is reserved by default for a user desgnated "expert." The reader may access any existing attachments but may not add a new attachment or file, except if the expert especially permits a reader to do this. Only an expert can delete attatchments. All types of file formats are authorized (rtf, pdf, xml, excel, etc.). The limit is 2 Mb per file, 8 attachments per workfile and 8 attachments per document. More information on adding attatchments is discussed later in this section.
- Notes (central pane and right pane) - In the Note tab access bar, you will see between parentheses the number of existing notes. To Add a note, click on the link Publish note. Then complete the title and text boxes of your note. Validate by clicking on the button OK.
- User fields (central pane and right pane) - An expert can add up to 20 user fields to documents, and the contents of these fields are displayed by selecting this tab. These fields are created to apply to all workfiles in the portfolio. These fields are also available in the portfolio search function. Readers are able to view the user fields but are not able to make any additions, deletions or changes. More information on creating user fields is discussed later in this section.
- Keyword Statistics ( right pane) - This tab provides a graph or bar chart of highlighted keywords where you may visualize the total number of occurrences by color for each member of the family, calculated on the basis of text in the complete specification. By passing the cursor over each block of color, a tooltip bubble provides the highlighted keyword, patent family member number containing keyword and the number of occurrences.
A ranking feature is also available in the full record view of the Workfile module, and users can rank individual records between zero and five stars (see screenshot below).
The Workfiles module provides a number of useful customization tool which can only be viewed through this module. One or more of these tools, such as ranking, user-defined fields, and notes, are present on other patent search platforms, but the availability of all three of these features, plus the unique option to upload attatchments to individual records, makes the Workfiles module a particularly excellent tool for customization of records.
One downside is that users can only search, view, and edit these custimizations through the Workfiles view, so the user must first add all selected records to workfiles before adding customization criteria. These customization options also not available for PlusPat records, since PlusPat records can't be added to workfiles.
From the full record view of the Workfiles module, users have the following tools accessible through the top menu:
- Return to the workfile list view.
- View a printer-friendly version of the central pane.
- Translate the central pane into a variety of languages.
- Turn on highlighting and define a highlighting scheme.
Searching in the Workfiles Module
Under the side menu of the Workfiles module, users can select the "Search" tab to view the search menu options:
- New Search - Open the search form in the right pane. The search form is very similar to the General search form in the Xpert module, including both both fielded options and a command line interface. Sections for fielded search options include Keywords, Classification, Others, Metadata (including search of notes and attatchments), and Dates.
- Last Result - This option lists the previous search query, which you can select to view the previous set of results.
- Tick a check box to select which directory folders/workfiles to search.
After the user conducts the search, they will automatically be taken to a list of results that is in the same layout as a workfile list (with customizable display options), including the option to filter the result list.
Adding Attatchments to Workfiles
As mentioned above, users can add attatchments to workiles or documents, and these attatchments can be in any authorized file format ((rtf, pdf, xml, excel, etc.). The limit is 2 Mb per file, 8 attachments per workfile and 8 attachments per document. Users can select the "Attatchments" tab while in the workfiles list view to see a list of details about all available attatchments, including Name, Description, User, Date and Time. The user can select the Insert File link to add additional attatchments to the workfile (as shown in the screenshot below). Attatchments can be added to a record through the Attatchments tab in the full record view (discussed above).
When uploading a file, the user must define the file path from their personal computer or network, and they may also add an optional description.
Main Menu Options for the Workfiles Module
The list display under the Workfiles Module includes a similar list of main menu options to the options included for the hit list in the Xpert module.
These options includes:
- Display options for the workfile list, including a list view, details view, or drawings view. See the hit list display formats section for more information on this tool.
- View the central pane in a printer friendly view.
- Export selected records in a variety of formats (TXT, PDF, RTF, XLS, XLSX, CSV, XML, email (permalinks), Bizint, VantagePoint, Ris export, or Intellixir.) See the Export Functions section of this report for more information on this feature.
- Delete selected records from a workfile.
- Select from a list of More Actions: move selected records to a new workfile, duplicate records into another workfile, mark records as read or unread, block records for this workfile or the whole portfolio, send selected records to the recycle bin, update selected records, import new data (opens a Numbers search assistant), import new data from file, add selected records to a list, manage user fields, and assign user fields.
When the user selects to manage user fields, they open a User Fields Wizard, which allows them to add to, edit, remove, or view data relating to an existing list of user-created fields. When adding a field, the user must specify a label, code, type (classification, dictionary, list, text, date or number), and sample.
The list of existing fields includes the label, code, type, sample, who the field was created by, and creation date. The user can then assign the user field to selected records.The following dialogue window may appear, and the user will have the option to "replace existing values for 'single value' user fields":
You are about to commit changes on user fields values, but some of the selected documents may have already values.
For 'multiple values' fields (classification and dictionary types), the values will be merged.
For 'single value' fields (list, date, number and text types), you have the choice to replace or keep the existing value by checking or not the box below.
- Select which readers can view and edit the workfile directories. The readers are the users who do not have a Questel assigned logon or UserID. The expert has the possibility to create readers and assign private access details to them for the Orbit Workfiles module. The readers are only able to view the directories to which they have been given authorization. They are not able to consult any other directory or workfile.
The module provides very flexible access options which expert users of the Workfiles module can utilize to define exactly who can access their workfiles (including users without Questel IDs).
- Turn on highlighting and define a highlighting scheme.
- Analyze selected results.
Overall, the Workfiles Module on Orbit contains a number of flexible and unique customization options, including the ability to add attatchments to records or workfiles and detailed user rights options. Some customization features, like user fields, ranking, and notes, are relatviely common to most subscription search platforms, but it is useful to have all these options on one interface.
It would be useful if these customization options could be applied accross all modules (instead of only in the Workfiles module), and it would also be helpful if these tools could be applied to PlusPat records
- ↑ "Add to my patents copies." Questel website, http://www.questel.com/imagination/orbit_help/prd/en/HelpForEndMenu_downloadPDF.htm. Accessed October 1, 2012.
- ↑ Questel. "User Guide: Orbit, the Questel IP Portal." October 2011. Questel website, http://www.questel.com/customersupport/userdoc/orbit_documentation/Patent_module_user_guide_Xpert_Search_Questel.pdf. Accessed October 5, 2012.
- ↑ "Search Module - Hit List." Questel website, http://www.questel.com/imagination/orbit_help/prd/en/PatentPatentList.htm. Accessed October 23, 2012.
- ↑ "Search Module - Hit list and Document view." Questel website, http://www.questel.com/imagination/orbit_help/prd/en/HelpForEndMenu_patentListImport.htm. Accessed October 26, 2012.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 Questel."Workfiles Module User Guide Expert Version." Orbit.com platform, http://www.questel.com/customersupport/userdoc/orbit_documentation/Workfiles_module_user_guide_Expert_Version_Questel.pdf. Accessed October 29, 2012.