Report:TotalPatent/Viewing Results/Family Search Features
|Report||Patent Coverage Map||Ratings||Comments|
|This search system report was created by the Intellogist Team and is available for viewing only. If you'd like to share your knowledge on Intellogist, please visit the Best Practices, Glossary, or Community Reports pages. Registered users may be notified of any substantial changes to this report by placing a "watch" on the Revisions page, which is the last page listed in the table of contents. To learn more about using the Intellogist "watchlist," see the Watchlist Help page.|| |
Family Search Features
TotalPatent provides a variety of different ways of viewing patent family data. The most obvious one is the "Family" display option when viewing search results. When this view is selected, TotalPatent will display all “relatives” of the selected patent. There are three family structure options, "INPADOC," “Main Family,” and “Extended Family.” According to TotalPatent help files, the definitions of each family type are as follows:
- Main - A collection of Publications, describing the same invention applied for in different countries and/or published in different stages during the application process. All publications that have exactly the same Priority Number belong to the same main patent family. For publications without a Priority Number, the Application Number should be read as the Priority Number.
- Extended - A collection of Publications, somehow related to each other by a common Priority. All publications having directly or indirectly a Priority Number in common belongs to the extended patent family. For publications without a Priority Number the Application Number should be read as the Priority Number. This group can contain multiple "main families".
- INPADOC - Displays patent family information from the International Patent Documentation Center (INPADOC), including legal status, when available.
The chart of family members for each family view includes the publication number (hyper-linked to open the document record in a new window), the publication date, application number, application date, priority number, priority date, and document title (also hyper-linked to open the document record) for every family member in the chart. Additionally, under the INPADOC family view, the user can select the (+) icon to view the available legal status data for that family member document. Also under the INPADOC family view, users can select the checkboxes beside the family members and choose the "Retrieve Selected" button to download the selected documents (or file them in a working folder).
By clicking on the “Create Family Report” hyperlink, the user can have TotalPatent generate a Family Report similar to the reports discussed in Import and Export Functions. These reports can be created in RTF, HTML, PDF, Plain Text, or Word formats and in either the Language of Publication or English (machine-translated or native, depending on the availability).
To view family data for a given document, searchers can also use the Publication Number Search box on the right side of the TotalPatent main search form by selecting the ‘Family Report’ view (which will take the user directly to the Family display option for a document record).
“Remove Family Member Duplicates” is an option available from any of the system search forms. According to the TotalPatent help guide, "when you select this option, all of the family documents from your prioritized authorities list will be scanned and only the earliest member (by publication date) will be retained."
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 " How Do I View a Patent Family?" LexisNexis website, http://help.lexisnexis.com/tabula-rasa/totalpatent/viewpatentfamily_hdi-task?lbu=US&locale=en_US&audience=all Accessed on June 6, 2012.
- ↑ "LexisNexis® TotalPatent™ User Guide." LexisNexis website, https://www.lexisnexis.com/totalpatent/retrieveHelpManual.do?lang=EN (restricted). Accessed June 7, 2012.