|If you found this page through a web search, we invite you to visit our Main Page to see what Intellogist is all about. This Community Report exists for our users to share information and experiences about patent search resources. Registered users can add, edit, or delete material on this page. The information contained on this page is the result of community collaboration and is not vetted by individual experts or fact-checkers. For in-depth reviews of other patent search resources, please read our Intellogist Reports. For information about editing Community reports, please see our Help pages. If you'd like more information about why Intellogist did not write about this search tool, please see our Criteria for Intellogist Articles.|
WikiPatents "provides free advanced patent searching and patent analytics for over 15 million patents hosted on its web site." WikiPatents covers "patents and patent applications from the United States, Germany, Japan, the United Kingdom, Canada, France, Spain and Switzerland." Interactive features of the site include the ability to "comment on and rate any patent."
As of November 2012, the homepage for the site is not accessible. Trying to search the site produces an error message, so it is possible that the tool is no longer available.
Non-registered users can access US patents and and patent applications, but ads are also displayed on the site. The results are displayed one page at a time in PDF format, with a menu of thumbnail-sized images of all pages at the top of the display.
Users have to pay a small one-time fee before they can register for the site, and they gain use of the following features:
- Patent downloads in .PDF, .DOC, and .TXT formats.
- Ability to search international patents (Germany, Japan, Great Britain, and Canada).
- Ability to purchase file histories at a discounted price.
- Options to view "entire text of patents, including: references to related patents, claims of the patent, full description."
- "One-click access to US patent assignment information."
- No ads.
Users can browse in the following sections, accessible through the top toolbar: Inventor, Owner/Assignee, Attorney/Agent/Firm, or Examiner. Users can also enter queries through the quick search form by keyword, or they can select the Advanced Patent Search form. Under the Advanced form, users can search under the following tabs: US Patents, US Applications, CA Patents, GB Patents, DE Patents, or JP Patents (non-registered users only have access to US Patents and US Applications). Each tab contains multiple fields, such as Patent number, Title, Publication date, Abstract, Inventor, etc. An example of the correct format for entering search queries is displayed beside each field. The search fields do accept the Boolean operators AND, OR, NOT.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 "About WikiPatents." WikiPatents website, http://www.wikipatents.com/about. Accessed April 21, 2011.
- ↑ "Why Register?" WikiPatents website, http://www.wikipatents.com/register (link no longer available). Accessed April 21, 2011.